The book drive will kick off with a fun event at Quail Ridge Books & Music on January 31 at 3:00PM. Then, beginning on February 1, Holly Grove Elementary will collect new and gently-used books for children ages birth-12.
Book donation boxes will be located in the HGES Media Center.
Book donation guidelines
Donated books will be distributed to children across Wake County to build home libraries. If you need guidance on specific titles, WAKE Up and Read has Wish Lists with Quail Ridge Books, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.
• Books must be new or gently used and appropriate for children birth – 12
• Titles like Curious George, The Magic Tree House, Charlotte’s Web, and bilingual books are appreciated
• For gently used donations, book covers, pages, and spines should be intact and without rips, tears, or added pencil/crayon markings (names of original owners/dedications are acceptable)
• Gently used books should not be damaged by mold, water, or fire, and should not show signs of discoloration or age
• No textbooks or used coloring or activity books, please
About WAKE Up and Read
The WAKE Up and Read campaign was launched in 2012 to address one of the most critical junctures to lifelong success, reading on grade-level by 3rd grade. This unique community collaboration includes education, civic, philanthropic, and business leaders from across Wake County, all working together to help every child develop the necessary skills for success in school and beyond. Our shared goal is to ensure that more children from low-income families have the tools and resources they need to become lifelong readers and learners. Working together, we can build stronger students and a stronger community. To learn more, visit www.wakeupandread.org.