What is flexible classroom seating? Flexible classroom seating is allowing students to "ditch the desk" and learn in a way they are most comfortable and where they will complete their best work.
How is it being implemented around Holly Grove? Teachers around the school have started using standing tables for students that like to stand, kneeling tables for students who would rather kneel. Teachers are allowing students to sit in various places with clip boards. Some classrooms have tents for reading activities and wobble cushions/stools.
What are the benefits of flexible classroom seating?
- Students are empowered to take control of their learning and how they learn.
- Students are more on task.
- Students are less distracted because they are able to move from peers or things that distract them.
- Less redirections for leaning back in chairs.
Articles about Flexible Classroom Seating:
- Effects of a Classroom Based Program on Physical Activity and On Task Behavior
- Standing Room Only in the classroom of the future
- Classroom Seating Considerations for 21st Century Students and Faculty